Dinner last night was DELICIOUS if I do say so myself and must be shared here. A tasty combination of coconut and Indian spices came together to make a satisfying and vegan meal loaded with essential nutrients and protein.
Cauliflower and Lentil Coconut Curry Courtesy of Angela @ Vegangela.com
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ⅓ cup dry red lentils
- 250 ml vegetable broth, hot
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- ¾ cup frozen green beans or peas, thawed and drained
- large handful of spinach (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander) leaves (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Begin by sauteing the onions in oil for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook for a couple more minutes. Stir in vegetable broth and lentils and cover to simmer for 10 minutes. In the mean time, brown cauliflower florets in a tablespoon or so of oil and then add to lentil mixture along with the coconut milk and carrots.
Add beans, peas and spinach if using (I actually didn’t even add these last few ingredients because I was in a rush to get my kids fed!) and cook for another 10 minutes or until desired tenderness of veggies. Add cilantro and lemon juice and salt and pepper just before serving over rice.
Oh, and this is what my kitchen looks like at the end of it. My kids like to help. 😉